Just a whiff of this fragrant bedtime concoction will have you feeling cozy and ready for bed. Not only does the scent of lavender lower stress levels, but studies have shown that lavender scents will actually increase deep or slow wave sleep (SWS).
2 ½ cups of the milk of your choice (this recipe works with regular milk, as well as soy and oat milks)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ of a whole vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon culinary lavender
- Tea satchel or disposable tea bag
- 1) Combine the milk, honey and ½ vanilla bean in a small saucepan over medium heat
- 2) Add the dried lavender to the tea satchel, and then place the satchel in the milk. Bring to a simmer.
- 3) Remove from heat and let the lavender steep for 10 minutes.
- 4) Remove the satchel and give it a good squeeze to get all the lavender goodies out.
- 5) Serve in mugs and sprinkle some dried lavender on top if you’re feeling fancy
Turmeric, the star of this trendy treat, fights inflammation, sleep deprivation and may even help lower anxiety levels. Enter ginger and cinnamon to add some fun flavors and help aid digestion.
- 2 cups milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 inch piece of peeled ginger (fresh)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1) Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium heat
- 2) Bring to a simmer and and whisk well to dissolve all the spices
- 3) Serve in mugs (and on instagram)
- The New York Sour
- This is a fave of our Director of Design and AirBnB superhost Barclay (check out @boshillhouse on instagram!). Simple yet elegant, this drink is the perfect Friday evening nightcap.
- 2oz Rye Whiskey or Bourbon
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 1 egg white (optional)
- 1/2 oz red wine
- 1) Add all the ingredients except the wine to a shaker and fill with ice
- 2) Shake well and strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice
- 3) Carefully pour the wine over the back of a spoon so it floats on top of the drink
Wind-Down Iced Tea
We snagged this recipe from Krissy over at The Self Proclaimed Foodie and the Helix office has been obsessed ever since. This aromatic blend that includes sleepytime favorites chamomile and lavender, will soothe your senses and lull you right to sleep. Perfect for those muggy summer nights.
- 2 tablespoons dried lavender
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- ¼ chamomile tea leaves
- 3 tablespoons dried peppermint
- 4 whole cloves
- 6 cups of water
- 1) Add all the dry ingredients to a tea strainer or tea bag
- 2) Boil 1 cup of water, and allow the mixture to steep in the water for at least 5 minutes
- 3) Add the remaining 5 cups of (cold) water and ice; Enjoy!
Apple Cinnamon Hot Toddy
1 chopped apple
3 oz Bourbon
1 oz Cinnamon Whiskey
1 tbsp Maple Syrup
1 black tea bag
2 Cinnamon sticks
1) In a saucepan, combine the apple, cinnamon sticks, maple syrup, and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
2) Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes
3) Remove from heat and add the black tea bag. Allow the tea to steep for 3 minutes.
4) Add booze and enjoy!